Transport for Expats in The Netherlands
Conditions apply to foreigners driving in the Netherlands, otherwise there’s an excellent public transport system.
- To drive in the Netherlands you must have a valid licence recognised by Dutch law, and have third party insurance.
- All cars must be registered with the RDW (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer). If you bring your vehicle from abroad, it must first be reviewed at an RDW inspection station, after which registration plates are handled through the same office.
- Traffic is an issue and so is parking, for which you generally need a permit.
You can find the following information about “Transport for Expats” in Expat Survival Guide 2024:
- Exchanging a driving licence
- Registering and owning a car
- Traffic & Parking
- Public Transport
Transport service providers
Bring your car along when relocating or returning to the Netherlands! With 25 years of experience, VDS Auto Import has helped expats import their cars or motorcycles from around the globe. Whether you’re leaving Dubai, the States, Japan, or any other country. We’ll take care of the entire process; from pick-up at your home abroad, to port transport, Dutch registration, and everything in between.
VDS Auto Import
Are you looking for a used car? When you buy a car from Bynco, you don’t run any risks, neither during the purchase nor while driving. That’s because we take all the risks from you.
We are the oldest driving school in the Netherlands with extensive experience, as you can imagine. We are specialized in guiding international drivers towards the driving test. Let yourself be informed in one of our free intakes. We’ll give you the best advice and solutions to be well prepared for the Dutch driving test. Get started on your journey to a Dutch driver’s license today!